Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sock Nirvana

I did it! I knit my first pair of socks ever! While I have been knitting for years, I have always been intimidated to try socks.  I am not sure what I was a afraid of, though this pattern did not use the dreaded kitchener stitch, so I may still be in store for a sock horror.  The part I was always fearful of was turning the heel. When it came to the turn I just took a deep breath and followed the advise I give beginning knitters who shake when they think of venturing beyond the scarf...break the pattern down to one stitch at a time.  Don't try to figure out where you going or what all the stitches together are going to do, just trust the pattern (and yourself) and knit (or purl) one stitch at a time and let the magic happen.


Even while I was working I knew I was falling in love with socks.  They are portable, practical, great way to try new stitches, and they only use 100gr of yarn so you don't feel gulty splurging on yarn.  I have already started gathering or have been gifted some wonderful sock yarns that are lobbying to be the next pair of socks I knit.



Line up:  Ella Rae Lace Merino, Fall Creek Fibers Meadow Sock, Kollage Sock-a-licious, Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock, Fall Creek Fibers Powder Mill Sock, Cascade Yarns Heritage, and Schoppel Wolle Crazy Zauberball

1 comment:

  1. I still need to be taught.... man I want to knit my own socks!

    ReplyDelete